antman

Value for European members?

Discussion created by antman on Feb 3, 2017
Latest reply on Feb 3, 2017 by antman

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong bit.

I used to stay at Marriott hotels a lot in the late 90's and early 2000's, especially the World Trace Centre and WFC Marriotts (may they RIP). Dozens of business trips and a few rewards points later, I bought a 3 bed villa week in 2007 and then in 2013 I bought 3,500 destination points while on a trip to Vegas.

The reason for my post is I am seriously wondering about the value I get from what I have bought (actually this is an understatement, what I mean is, I now realise I've been a bit of an idiot!). The 3 bed week cost about 22K GBP and 25K GBP for the destination club points (total investment USD 65K). I pay nearly 3K GBP per year maintenance. For this I get a couple of holidays a year where the accommodation is "free", however, being in the UK I have to go via Interval which is a nightmare and we can never get anything we want. There are 4(?) European vacation club places that I could go to, one is Disneyland Paris (done that), one my home resort in Andalusia (done that a few times), Marbella (done that) and the other is Majorca, which I have yet to visit. I knew all this and my investment is mostly related to reward points which I can use in a lot more places, but the value of these seems to have gone down to the point that I am in negative equity. I could fly to the US but the costs of the flights dwarf any saving I might be making.

I think over the years I must have spent £60K (capital + maintenance) for about £30K's worth (max) of holidays/hotel stays.

The reward points I get are worth squat! I could exchange my thirty thousand dollar Andalucia investment to stay in a London hotel for 3 nights a year. Which would cost me probably £600. And I paid £20K for the privilege of being able to spend £1k in maintenance every year for £600 value.

I read somewhere that the Marriott weeks used to be good value but I feel like I've been taken for a ride.

On a related note, what is the best way to sell up?

Thanks

antman

Outcomes