AnsweredAssumed Answered

Extending our Barcelona trip: a week in Portugal or SouthernFrance?

Question asked by ready4atrip on Feb 6, 2017
Latest reply on Feb 7, 2017 by jerrycoin

Thank you for reading:

Through my husband's work, we won a trip to Barcelona in early April. The trip is an organized group trip for 6 nights and includes our airfare. By the way, we will be at the Ritz Carlton, but last time they didn't honor my platinum status with Marriott for anything.

We want to stay in Europe an extra week on our own and either fly or take the train to Portugal and rent a car and drive around the country or rent a car in Barcelona and drive into southern France for a week.

We were in Spain a few years ago and delighted in Barcelona, Marbella, Granada, Seville, Cordoba, and Madrid, a driving trip for 2 weeks.  Thus, we do not want to stay in Spain, but experience another country.

Also we have travelled by car for 3 weeks in France in 2000. We were in Paris, Amboise, Carnac, Honfluer, Angers, Nantes, Dinan, Giverny, St. Malo, Brittany, Normandy,and other lovely places, all the way up to Belgium.  More the north and west part of the country.

So, I thought we could either go to Portugal and fly back to the United States from Lisbon, or go to France and fly home from Marseille or Nice, or someplace else.  We do not have to loop back to Barcelona for departure.

Any preference on the choice of Portugal or southern France?

Weather-wise for the second week in April is one warmer than the other?

We love the countryside, less on cities, although the museums tend to be in the urban areas.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Outcomes