Many of you know, I'll be celebrating my 50th birthday in the 50th state in just a few months. The trip is coming together bit by bit.
- First class one-way from CMH to PHX to SAN on AA
- 1 night CY San Diego/Liberty Station (closest property to the airport)
- Premium class one-way from SAN to LIH on AS
- 5 nights on points at the new Autograph property, Koloa Landing
- 5 nights on points at the MVC Ko Olina Beach Club
- First class one-way from HNL to JFK to CMH on DL (overnight with lie flat seats)
I held off booking the SAN-LIH leg until I achieved MVP Gold status with AS. Unfortunately, by the time I booked, I could not get a guaranteed FC upgrade. I settled for the Premium class upgrade which ended up saving me a few hundred dollars over the FC upgradable fare, though I'm bummed I won't be in FC for the flight to Hawaii. At least I will be for the overnight flight home.
I still need to book the flight between LIH and HNL as well as any activities. I plan on reserving a helicopter tour of Kauai (Na Pali coast, Waimea Canyon, waterfalls ... need I say more?) Also planning a day trip, fly-in/fly-out to Kalaupapa on Molokai from HNL (since Kalawao county is technically a separate entity from Maui county).
Given that I'll be there in March, there's a good chance I might see some whales (though I know Maui is the best island for whale watching). It's been almost 13 years since I was last on Kauai. I visited Oahu a little over a year ago, though I'm not familiar with the area around Ko Olina, having never visited that side of the island.
Any suggestions for other things I should do on Kauai or Oahu?
I've been to Pearl Harbor and climbed Diamond Head, though I won't object to doing either again.
Anything major I'm forgetting?