AnsweredAssumed Answered

Notice an Uptick in Points Offered to Counter Poor Service?

Question asked by nationwide on Jul 24, 2016
Latest reply on Jul 28, 2016 by 702rugbyref

Has anyone noticed an uptick in the frequency of Marriott staff members being quick to offer you a few extra points if they've disappointed you in some way?  Here are two examples from this week of what I'm talking about:

1.  At the Marriott Walnut Creek, CA , which has recently undergone a renovation of their rooms (this will be the subject of a more extensive separate post with pictures), we walked into our room to find a toilet tank in our shower.  Mind you, they had upgraded our room, it was disapponting to find a leaky commode and another partial commode in our shower.    The front desk (Chris) was extremely appologetic, and quickly made us an offer of half off the first room night and 10,000 Marriott Rewards points to assuage any ill feeling. 

2.  At the Marriott San Francisco Airport Waterway, I checked in online, and politely requested an upgrade as I have my wife traveling with me this week on a mixed purpose business/leisure trip.  We show up to pick up our keys and stand in the mobile check-in line for 10 minutes.  Disappointingly, Pauline asks us if we are being helped after 5 minutes, tells us she rang someone in the back to come help us, and walks away.  Nobody shows up...  Meanwhile a dozen guests are being checked in the old-fashioned way in the regular line.  (mrbmbrown I know you can appreciate this).  Another 5 minutes passes, the manager happens by and asks if anyone is taking care of us... " No Mam, nobody."   She uses the computer in front of me to check another guest in from elsewhere, and walks away saying she too will send someone back.  Well, "along comes Pauline"   again saying she will take care of us.  She asks my name, and then says she can't find my keys... Am I sure I checked in online?  How long ago?... she tells me she will just need to start again, and I quickly realize I should politely ask about an upgrade if there is going to be any chance of one.  We get a water view with our bed preference (thankfully) and that's the end of it.  I go back to my phone a little later and tell the Chat Associate with whom I had arranged extra pillows, amenities and an upgrade about the above check-in experience.  His solution?  How about 5,000 points to make you feel better?  I said fine, and moved on.

I have a number of other examples where points are substituting for expected service, but these came from this week alone.  Are you seeing a similar trend?  What do you think about it?  How do we get our expected level of service back?  These kinds of circumstances often turn into points-shorting brightlybob experiences too, only serving to compound your disappointment.  In example 1 above, the discount was applied to our bill, and our regular points showed up, but I now have to chase Chris down to get the 10,000 points he offered to make things better...  The gesture is only as good as the execution, right?  Please share your thoughts on the trend.

Outcomes