bejacob

ANNOUNCEMENT - Hotel Change for Sept 16-17, 2016 Insider Gathering (TIPPLE)

Discussion created by bejacob on Jun 7, 2016
Latest reply on Aug 14, 2016 by jerryl

Big News!

We are changing hotels in Houston for the Marriott Rewards Insider Event of the Year, known to many of you as TIPPLE (groan).

The dates are still 16-17 September, 2016 but the location will now be at the Downtown Houston Hotels | JW Marriott Houston Downtown, not the JW Houston Galleria on Westheimer Road as previously announced.

Why the change?

Several reasons

• The Downtown JW has offered us an amazing rate of $119 per night, good beginning Thursday 9/15 and ending with a checkout on 9/19 (for anyone wishing to arrive a day early or stay a day late). I should note this rate, despite being a great discount, will qualify for both MR points and elite night credit. Here is a direct link to where you can book the Insider rate (don't forget to select your specific dates for the weekend).

Book your group rate for Marriott Rewards Insiders

If you wish to call the hotel directly to book, please mention the group name "Marriott Rewards Insiders." The hotel number is 731-237-1111.

• We will have access the Concierge Lounge all weekend (we were unable to confirm this at the Galleria)
  • communitymanagers has arranged for a cocktail reception hosted in the Lounge on Saturday from 7-9pm (that time can be changed if necessary so speak up if you prefer something else). During this time the lounge will be closed to other guests.

I know many Insiders have already made reservations at the other JW based on our previous announcements. Please take a moment to cancel those and book at the new hotel. We did try to secure a discounted rate at the JW Galleria and were unsuccessful. If I recall, some folks, jerrycoin, erc, and wesleywc have bookings at nearby properties (such as the Residence Inn near the Galleria). There are similar options, including a Residence Inn, just a few blocks from the JW Houston Downtown. The Autograph ICON, a CY, and a SHS are all located nearby as well, but with a rate at the JW of roughly half the regular rate, why stay anywhere else? Seriously though, feel free to book at any of the nearby properties if that better suits your needs.

Oh, one more thing. Please book by 8/17/2016 to get the discounted rate. Sadly, anyone who was planning use a cat 1-5 certificate at the previous location will not be able to do so here, as the property is a category 7 (but at $119 a night, it's likely a better value to use your cert somewhere else anyway).

Hopefully no one will feel the need to cancel due to our change in venue. We're less than 10 miles from our original location. Also, being more centrally located may make it easier for anyone coming from the airport.

brightlybob is keeping an unofficial attendance list. No one on the list is required to attend (except perhaps him, me, and iahflyr). If you would like to join us, leave a comment on this thread. Brightlybob will update his list. Since Marriott is hosting a reception for us, it might be helpful (though not required) to let him know if you will be bringing any guests (spouse, children, political candidates , etc.).

I do apologize for the change. Had brightlybob and I known the kind of reaction this event would receive, we would have reached out to Nathalie much earlier. She has worked tirelessly behind the scenes for quite some time to make this happen. I send along a big shout out to her for putting up with me and coordinating with the hotel to bring all of this together. Great Job, Nathalie!

I look forward to seeing everyone planning to join us in Houston.

Cheers,

bejacob

Message was edited by: bejacob (formatting issues)

Outcomes