dralex

Newcastle Gosforth Park Hotel (UK): Change in Executive Lounge Facilities

Discussion created by dralex on Jun 7, 2016
Latest reply on Jul 21, 2016 by trevfour

After a challenging 2015, and a lot of work away from home, I (finally) made it to Gold Elite Status in February of this year.  I have since then enjoyed the Marriott Executive Lounges in Baku (Azerbaijan) and Istanbul (Turkey).

Closer to home, I travel to Newcastle, Northern England, three or four times a year. For my recent trip, I reserved a room at the Newcastle Gosforth Park Hotel: this appeared to be the only Marriott in Newcastle with an Executive Lounge.

On checking-in, last Sunday, I was informed, by an apologetic reception staff, that "the hotel owners" had decided to significantly reduce the range of beverages and foodstuff in the Executive Lounge. There were no longer any  early-evening drinks or canapes. The lounge now boasted a coffee machine and a fridge with bottles of still water. And these were the entirity of the Executive Lounge beverages.

Now, let's be fair. I was given a £10 voucher for the bar, and 750 bonus points "because[ I] had booked the room before the decision to alter the facilities in the Executive Lounge was taken".

But I would have preferred to have the expected range of beverages, rather than a voucher.

So what's next? Well, my next booking at this hotel is in a fortnight's time. I think that this will be the last time I will stay at the Gosforth Park.  After that, I shall shop around. The Marriott Royal County in Durham looks promising, so I think I shall use that Marriott in future.

Let me conclude with a message to the owners of Newcastle Gosforth Park Hotel: "Ladies and gentlemen, I perfectly understand that you have every right to run your hotel in any way you see fit. But I would like to ask you to reconsider this specific decision. I don't think that I am the only Gold Elite Member whose business you are losing."

Yours sincerely,

Dr Alex

Outcomes