AnsweredAssumed Answered

Charged for smoking when I didn't

Question asked by landc on Apr 14, 2016
Latest reply on May 8, 2016 by tommo781

On March 25, 2016, my wife and I stayed at the Residence Inn in Research Triangle Park, NC on her Rewards points. I have been a smoker all my adult life, but haven't smoked indoors, ANYWHERE, for 20 years. Hopefully you can imagine my surprise on the Monday we returned home to find that Marriott had tied up $480 of my checking account through my debit card. I called the hotel to find that they were accusing my of smoking in the room. I asked to speak to the manager but was told that she was at lunch and would return my call once she got back at 1:00 pm. I waited until 2:30 pm and finally called her back myself. She informed me that "I had smoked in the room and that they would not be able to rent it until they 'fumigated' it. I attempted to explain to her that all they could have found was 6 cigarette filters in the trash, because I could find nowhere to dispose of them outside after I had finished smoking except to throw them in the landscaping. She made it abundantly clear that I was guilty and quite unprofessionally told me she would check with her staff and contact me on Tuesday. Well at 4:45 pm on Wednesday she finally called me back and told me that I was going to be charged $250 because the staff said there was a "strong" smell of smoke in the room. I again tried to explain the situation to her, but she had no time to listen. I told her that I would have to take my problem higher and she informed me that it would not help because the Customer support at the webpage would simply take my information and send it to her. This whole experience has not only cost me the $250 in charges, but also has cost me $96 in overdraft changes on my checking account. Our "free" room has cost $346. I am getting increasingly frustrated since we have spoken to the hotel manager, spent an email to customer support and previously put a post somewhere on this site which I can not find. At this point where do I go and what do I do!!!!

Outcomes