kharada46

Alternate Credit Cards for MR Points (US)

Discussion created by kharada46 on Mar 2, 2016
Latest reply on Oct 11, 2016 by droma

It's safe to say that most of us US Insiders have the Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Signature and/or Ritz Carlton Rewards Visa Signature cards, which earn 5x points at Marriotts, 2x for dining & certain travel points, etc.  I do have the MR Premier Visa and do use it at Marriott properties but since I've been diversifying my point holdings, I've also picked up the Chase Sapphire Preferred.  I'm sure most of you know this card earns 2x points on dining and travel (including taxis and parking), while also providing primary collision coverage on rental cars, and is regarded as one of the best credit cards out there thanks to the ability to transfer points 1:1 to programs like United MileagePlus, Hyatt Gold Passport, and of course Marriott Rewards.  I do also use the Chase Freedom card to scoop up 5x points per $ on certain categories each quarter, but word has it Chase will begin offering a new version of the Freedom card as well.

The new Freedom Card is called the Freedom Unlimited, which will do away with the quarterly rotating category bonuses, and will instead offer 1.5x points for every $1 spent.  So paired with a Chase Sapphire Preferred, that's 1.5 Marriott Reward points on non-bonus categories, and 2x MR points on dining & travel.  I guess the big question now, though is if Chase would let one hold the Sapphire Preferred, the Freedom, and the Freedom Unlimited card at the same time??

Details Of New Chase Freedom Unlimited Card

Outcomes