Thinking of taking the kids to Bahamas sometime this summer for a couple of days just for something different. Flying from anywhere in S or SW Florida, probably on Silver which has reasonable fares. Open to visiting any part of the Bahamas but know nothing about them. Questions:
1. Any ferries running from FL to Bahamas anymore?
2. Seems that Marriott options are Atlantis on Paradise Island or Abaco Club at Marsh Harbour. I thought there was a RC at Marsh Harbour at one time. Is that gone now? Am I missing something? Not sure I'm crazy about going to Atlantis due to all the extra fees and taxes. How about Bimini? There is a Hilton there with very reasonable rates. Maybe I will check Interval International to see what's out there.
3. If I take kids without Spouse, do I need anything other than their passports?
4. Do passports need to have a certain amount of time left on them? Kids' passports expire in January, and if we go in July there will possibly be less than 6 months left, depending on time of month.
5. Any feedback on Silver Airways? Should I book through United.com to get United miles? Fares are slightly higher doing it that way, but not much, and I have more use for United miles than Silver miles (if Silver even has a FF program).
6. Anywhere else I can go from S or SW Florida for a couple of days that's a relatively short and inexpensive flight and I can use MR points?
7. Is July off season in Caribbean/Bahamas? Is June or Aug. a better time? Has to be when kids are off school.
Thanks in advance!