mychael

Lois at the Orlando Airport Marriott Lakeside

Discussion created by mychael on Dec 7, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 7, 2015 by laurac

Lois worked the Concierge lounge the night of Dec. 6, 2015 and I was blown away by her cheerful, caring demeanor, adaptability, and spirit to serve. While I was in the lounge enjoying the evening snacks, everything that could happen within 5 minutes did: a child dropped his bowl of candy which scattered across the floor; a pushy woman was going around to everything, asking question after question--"Is the coffee fresh?" "What kind is it?" "What is this?" "Is this good?"; I splashed some of my tea onto the tile. Lois's somehow managed to answer all these questions and clean up messes while still keeping the plates fresh and keeping an eye on the honor bar. Her responses to all of the stressors? "I'll take care of it" and "Don't worry, this is your home." Her warm tone and ever-happy demeanor really stood out to me--it made that last comment feel true; it absolutely did feel like a family dinner, with the hostess coming whisking more food on the table, cleaning up after everyone, etc.

I can't think of a Marriott associate who has more embodied the Spirit to Serve over the past year. Many--perhaps most--would have snapped under all of the pressure, with rude, messy people (with whom I gladly self-identify ) and the non-stop problems that I saw happening. Lois's quick reactions, endless energy, and warmth acted out the "home"--and in this case, actions spoke far louder than words. Under the circumstances, this was far more than I would have expected.

Thank you,

Michael

Outcomes