seanjaz

Atlantis Cove, Paradise Island, Bahamas

Discussion created by seanjaz on Sep 3, 2015
Latest reply on Oct 21, 2017 by seanjaz

; I would like a share a strange and disappointing experience I just had.

I had saved up 370k points with the hopes of using a travel package at the Atlantis Cove for 7 nights for a category 9 hotel, and 110k miles on United.  I just attempted unsuccessfully to do that.

I called Marriott Rewards, they suggested I make the room reservation first.  They transferred me to another department, and after being on hold for 10 minutes, I talked to a nice reservations agent.  I explained that I am trying to use a travel package.  She asked me if I wanted a king ocean view or 2 queen bed ocean view.   I chose King.

she then explained to me that there will be an additional resort fee of $53 per day.  That seemed really excessive to me, but I accepted it.

She made the reservation, and I asked her to transfer to back to the rewards desk so that I could redeem the certificate.

After being on hold for another 10 minutes, I talked to a nice gentleman who informed me that I cannot do what I wanted because my particular reservation required an extra 10k per night due to the upgrade that I asked for.

I explained that I did not ask for any upgrades, and asked him to put me in a standard room.  He attempted to help me by putting me on hold, and calling the property himself.

After a 5 minute hold, he came back to tell me that this property does not offer standard reward rooms, and that all their rooms require extra points.

Needless to say, I canceled the reservation.

I think Marriott Rewards is making a huge mistake by allowing Atlantis to gouge its members by overcharging like this.  This damages the Marriott Rewards Brand that I have been loyal to for decades,

Outcomes