hawaiiowner

Bogus Extension of 2008 MR Program to MVC Owners in 2009

Discussion created by hawaiiowner on May 28, 2009
Latest reply on Aug 2, 2009 by tjcnewyork

My wife and I own 6 weeks of Marriott timeshares in Hawaii, Nevada and Florida.  On 10/24/08, not long after Marriott announced its "improvements" to the MR program, we received an E-Mail from Ron Essig, VP of Owner Services of MVCI.  It stated that they were extending to MVC owners the use of the then current MR program to Owners until 7/31/09.

This was important, because in addition to the other negative changes, Marriott Rewards gutted the value of their cruise rewards as of 12/31/08.

Today I called MR to book a cruise award under the old program and was told that the E-Mail did not apply to cruises because cruises were not part of Marriott Rewards.  Of course, this was incorrect as cruisess have always been a redemption option since the very early days of the program.  After two or three attempts at other explanations which I did not buy, the rep got surly.  I then talked to a supervisor who said they could not give me the desired certificate because they no longer had contracts with the cruise lines.

He said I was being unreasonable because Marmriott had the right to change the program any time they wished to do so.  I said I was not disputing that right, but that the E-mail had grandfathered us in for a period of time against any changes.  You would have thought I had cooties!

Another example of the low regard Marriott has for its timeshare owners.

Outcomes