arkwright

US Beer: A(nother) Brave New World

Discussion created by arkwright on Nov 30, 2014
Latest reply on Dec 4, 2014 by lindseyh

I recently came across an article by Garry Silverman (US Editor of the FT) under the heading:

"A grateful nation gives thanks for better beer"

Knowing the proclivities of some Insiders, and finding the piece both interesting and witty, I thought I'd leave your with a "doctored" version. Herewith:

"This week, Americans give thanks for the good things in our lives. I would like to express my gratitude.......for delivering us from bad beer.....unlike the music, movies, baseball, journalism, politics and transport, our beer just keeps getting better......the millennial generation have made it clear they want more flavour from their libations - and thousands of independent breweries have come into bring to meet that demand.....(according to the WSJ) " craft beers are now outselling Budweiser....44 per cent of US drinkers aged 21 to 27 have never even tried Budweiser....American beer today offers far more, sometimes too much more. So many potent potables are advertised....that it's a challenge to finish reading the list before last call...I find myself encouraged by the pluck and persistence of our new breed of brewers. These beverage Davids are taking on the Goliaths of their industry - and they are winning. The lesson is that there is more to business than size and economies of scale. Creativity counts too.....beer revolution is responding to a thirst for something more than the products and services offered by the corporate apparatchiks of our sprawling business bureaucracies....similar uprisings are taking place across the world of American food and drink.......there are undoubtedly things to do in this world than to formulate recipes for people with enough money to frequent bars and restaurants....it nonetheless occurs to me that a country capable of improving its beer might one day be able to do something about its music etc etc. "

So there you go. I'll not risk commenting on the author's restatement of the US's " progressive" creed; instead offer a few rather mundane thoughts:

1. A boost to tourism. If true and continued, this trend will at a stroke remove a fundamental objection articulated by UK (beer) alcoholics to the idea of holidaying in the States;

2. A challenge to Marriott bars to diversify/ update the products on offer;

3. A prompt to Marriott's senior executives  to ask to what extent, if at all, they  fall into the category of "corporate apparatchiks of our sprawling business bureaucracies?

Here's to the next round!

A

Outcomes