traveler1970

Hotel Category change

Discussion created by traveler1970 on Oct 22, 2014
Latest reply on Oct 22, 2014 by erc

As a Platinum Elite Marriott Rewards member for over 10 years I'm disappointed in some of the recent changes made to the Rewards program. Marriott re-categorized their hotels from Category 1-7 to 1-9. However, they kept the certificates that a member earns for loyalty at the same category 4 or 5 level. In Chicago where I live, these hotels have not been updated or improved and have often deteriorated. I called to question this and was told that when enough people use a certificate for a hotel stay, Marriott Corporate office raises that hotels category level. Now all the Marriott brand hotels in downtown Chicago are a Category 6 or above which precludes ever using a certificate in the city. I asked if it would be possible to use the value of a Category 5 (25,000 points) Certificate and adding points with it to stay in one of the Chicago hotels and was told it is not possible. Since Marriott has raised their hotel categories, it would be appropriate to also raise the certificate category values. That would be good customer relations and show Marriott still values customers for their loyalty. Next year they won't get my Freddie vote and my loyalty may be directed to Hyatt in the future.

Outcomes