profchiara

Airplane lavatories

Discussion created by profchiara on Oct 2, 2014
Latest reply on Nov 11, 2014 by nstraveler

If there is one thing I hate even more than going through security when I fly, it is airplane lavatories (no matter the seating class) especially since I always have long flights.  But one thing has been bothering me for a few weeks now, which no one on TV/printed/social media has addressed (at least as far as I know).  Now that the Ebola case in the US has been extended to cover at least 80 possibly infected people from the time the man flew from Liberia-Brussels-Dulles-Dallas, I think it's worth asking.  While my understanding of the disease is that it cannot be spread while the victim is asymptomatic, many doctors also insist that even then it can only be spread through contact with bodily fluids.  I have repeatedly heard 'experts' say that as a result even if you were on a plane with someone who perhaps did exhibit some early symptoms, you could not catch the disease.

No one has broached the one obvious subject on airplanes where bodily fluids are ALL TOO PRESENT -- the usually disgusting lavatories (which are becoming ever smaller on some airlines).  It's usually impossible to avoid using them on long flights, and I always bring extra layers of throwaway socks to discard at the end of the flight.  The same experts have included urine (sorry for the discussion of bodily fluids!) as a potential form of contagion.  So what is to keep the disease from spreading if someone just starting to show mild symptoms boards long flights from spreading it via lavatories?

PS -- Nothing has and nothing will (except possibly my own joints) keep me from flying, as many of you know.  But I have yet to hear a single person discuss this possibility.  I do, however, hope the airlines are taking a few more precautions than they are now in trying to keep lavatories somewhat cleaner.

Outcomes