AnsweredAssumed Answered

Are Reward Points Earned for Parking Fees?

Question asked by bejacob on May 21, 2014
Latest reply on Jul 10, 2017 by phctourist

This topic comes up from time to time. Here's my take.

On a recent visit to St. Louis, I stayed at the Renaissance Grand on a promo certificate. While there, I paid for parking and had it added to my room folio. By using the certificate the room was free, but I paid for the parking on my MR visa. Looking at my MR account activity, my stay shows up but I earned zero points. I do know that at non-FS brands, points are only earned on the room rate, but I thought points were earned on every dollar spent at FS-brands such as Renaissance and Marriott.

The last time I used a promo certificate and also paid for parking was at the Marriott Bristol City Centre Hotel in the UK. During that stay, I also charged the parking to my room, and I received roughly 400 points (parking must have cost about $40 for the 2 days).

MR customer service equated parking fees to resort fees and said that neither is eligible to earn points. My experience shows inconsistent results. Sometimes parking (if charged to the room folio) earns points, sometimes not. Having read the terms and conditions of earning points, I can't find anything that excludes such fees from points eligiblity.

I would have only earned about 225 points for parking in St. Louis so I'm not really concerned that I didn't get them, but it would be nice to know if this something that is left up to individual properties or if there is some corporate policy on the issue.

Has anyone earned (or been denied) points for parking fees recently?

Outcomes