AnsweredAssumed Answered

Boston Marriott hotel properties, suggestions, please.

Question asked by pluto77 on May 5, 2014
Latest reply on May 15, 2014 by ssindc

In September, I will be visiting Boston for one week with my mother.  I am looking for suggestions as to which property we should stay at.  We have decided to do 2-3 paid nights at Custom House and then do a 4-5 night stay on points elsewhere.  (Custom House, our first choice is completely sold out for points reservations, but we have decided to do a couple of paid nights there because it just looks so lovely.)  The question remains then as to where to spend the other 4-5 nights.  I am a walker and would probably be completely comfortable with any of the Marriott property locations in the center of the city, anywhere from Back Bay to the Wharf or even across the river, but my mom is starting to show signs of not being able to keep up with us "kids" as she has previously done (she in her 70's, I in my 50's).  I am hoping we can do the stay without a car.  We do the subway well, and are happy to use a taxi service when warranted.  As for luxury or economy, we can swing either way.  What's important is 1) access to public transportation for transport to dining, as well as all of the usual yet worthy sight-seeing attractions (including Fenway Park), and 2) a nicely appointed property (sometimes a brand new or recently renovated Residence Inn can beat a tired, run down, overly populated full-service property, so it doesn't necessarily have to be full service.)

I have read all of the reviews in the hotel review section, and the two properties that I was originally considering (aside from Custom House), Boston Marriott Copley Place and Boston Marriott Long Wharf have left me with some concerns.  A jam-packed CL, slow elevators, lackluster customer service and tired, threadbared furnishings are not something I would look forward to, though admittedly, as urban adventurers we won't be spending very much time in the hotel.  I am wondering if the Cambridge Marriott, the Residence Inn Tudor Wharf, Residence Inn Seaport or the Renaissance Boston Waterfront are doable as well as nice.  Also, this is my maiden trip to the Big B.  My mom has only been one time prior for only about three days.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

Outcomes