AnsweredAssumed Answered

Foreign Transaction Fee - Marriott Grand Cayman ?

Question asked by ssever on Apr 7, 2014
Latest reply on Apr 8, 2014 by iahflyr

I just read this on Trip Advisor, has anyone experienced this while traveling overseas at a Marriott, and better yet, specifically at the Grand Cayman Marriott? I reached out to my credit card company (happens to be Marriott Rewards visa through Chase) and they advise that they do not charge anything additional, that the hotel will charge in cayman island $ but that the 3% transaction fee that is standard, used for the conversion to US, and typically charged to the credit card user by the credit card company, is not charged if your card waives that, which mine does.  However, this review below states something different, that the Marriott itself has added a charge and it's noted on the hotel bill that it will be assessed...whereas this individual used the card at numerous other island locations without an additional charge coming up on their credit card bill.

POSTING FROM TRIPADVISOR APRIL 2014 RE: FOREIGN TRANSACTION FEE AT MARRIOTT GRAND CAYMAN:

"When I returned home and got my American Express bill, the amounts didn't match and I was charged a Foreign Transaction fee. The hotel said they charge in Cayman dollars and the exchange rate applied by the credit card company was probably different...and the Foreign Transaction fee is levied on a percentage of the total bill by the credit card company because the charge is in Cayman dollars. What is interesting to me is that I was on the island for TWO WEEKS and used charge cards all over the island - at restaurants, activities and the Westin (where we happily spent the rest of our trip) and NO other establishment ran the charge in Cayman dollars and I incurred NO OTHER Foreign Transaction fees, except the Marriott. The Marriott says this is listed on your bill when you check out and, in fairness, after they pointed it out, I could see that it is...but I would venture to guess that I am not alone in not noticing this. I find it very disappointing that the Marriott would choose to process charges on credit cards in a way that costs their customers more money on their charge card bills after they return home, when there are obviously ways to process the charges in US dollars that do not incur these extra fees."

Outcomes