profchiara

Are you afraid to fly now?

Discussion created by profchiara on Mar 16, 2014
Latest reply on Mar 18, 2014 by jerryl

This is a no brainer to me, since I am flying to Europe (though not where I planned to) Thursday.  But my aunt in Florida asked me "Aren't you afraid to fly?"  My immediate and continuing reaction is "of course not!"  It is far safer than any other mode of transportation.  Getting to Colby yesterday afternoon after 14" of new snow, sleet and ice was far more dangerous than any flight (and took 20 minutes compared to the normal 3).

I love flying, though I no longer love the flying experience.  But that's all thanks to the TSA.  I changed my flight yet again for spring break research (4th time, but they were FF miles so no penalty) because as much as I prefer snow and cold to hot and dry, this winter has been brutal in Maine.  So I'm going someplace just for fun -- Nice.  (I'll be staying at the Hyatt Palais Meditérranée on the Promenade des Anglais.  I'm not the biggest fan of the French Riviera, but the Hyatt has an indoor/outdoor heated pool which will be good for my arthritis -- and hey it's supposed to be in the 60s.  We Mainers have been living below 0 for most of winter, including a snow and ice storm of 14" last Thursday through the weekend.  I love winter and snow, but this winter has been brutal.  I had planned to go to Athens, but unfortunately if you arrive before April, most nothing is open.

So I have a pool, a view of the Mediterranean, a 2 minute walk to the beach, and I am happy.

Cheers, ProfChiara

Outcomes