foxglove

Must-see recommendation for your home state

Discussion created by foxglove on Mar 7, 2014
Latest reply on Dec 29, 2015 by foxglove

If you were asked to recommend just one must-see destination in your home state to a visitor, what would it be? Any and all destinations apply, whether formed by Mother Nature or human hand.

My home state of Georgia is blessed with a vast canvas of natural beauty, from the Golden Isles on the Atlantic Coast to some of the last remnants of longleaf pine forest on the Coastal Plain to the Blue Ridge Mountains in the north. But the one destination that I’d recommend as a must-see for all is the Okefenokee Swamp in the southeast corner of the state. Encompassing nearly 700 square miles, it’s the largest freshwater swamp in North America. It’s a birder’s paradise, with more than 200 species as year-round or partial-year residents, including the Scarlet Ibis, Wood Stork, Great Blue Heron, Snowy Egret, and Sandhill Crane. Mammalian species include the black bear, bobcat, river otter, and white-tailed deer. And one never forgets the experience of hearing a bull American alligator roar during the spring mating season—it’s Jurassic Park come alive!

So that’s my recommendation. What’s yours? I have my travel calendar out, and I’m ready to start setting destinations.

gator.jpg

Outcomes