AnsweredAssumed Answered

Working on Christmas?

Question asked by anadyr on Dec 7, 2013
Latest reply on Dec 10, 2013 by iahflyr

Yep, been there, done that. Sometimes the work must go on, such as when I was in the Army, or later working in the National Military Command Center, where there are no days off.  The Pentagon (hopefully) never sleeps, though we did doze occasionally.

But there was one time just a few years ago when I had to work both Christmas Eve day and then the days after Christmas for a project, one that seemed vital at the time, and looking back, was not so. I checked into the Santa Clara CA Marriott that day, I had stayed there at least 100 days that year, maybe more. Associates knew me, but were surprised that I was going to be there.

After the news that the lounge was closed was given, there were apologies and even an offer of room service on the house.  I refused.  Then an offer of a large two bedroom suite, which I accepted. The hotel was vacant, and I was the only person on my floor, maybe on my wing of the hotel.  Senior staff were off with their families, so it was just me and the third team, the one that had to work holiday shifts.

I went into work, and tried to concentrate, but kept feeling the pull of home.  I did get home for Christmas day and had to leave again the day after, all of which means Christmas was hurried and not that enjoyable. Back at the hotel I had that feeling in the Eagles trademark song, "you can check in any time you want, but you can never leave."

A hotel at a holiday, especially a business-oriented one, is a very lonely place.  Yes, the staff tried, but there is only so much you can do.

So my question is:  Have any of you spent a working time over the holidays in a hotel, alone? If so, how was it?  Would you recommend it?

Outcomes