chrisf

Venice - Italy

Discussion created by chrisf on Nov 23, 2013
Latest reply on Nov 26, 2013 by chrisf

Our latest trip was to Venice in Italy.  We did a 3 day trip but I wish that we had chosen a 5 day trip.  It is definitely a location that we would go back to.  At the time of booking, I couldn't find a Marriott in the main area of Venice, but I have subsequently found that an Autograph hotel is on the island.  In the absence of a Marriott, we chose a Hilton … Molino Stucky on Giudecca.  Nice hotel and conveniently located … See TripAdvisor.

For us, Venice was bliss … no cars, no bicycles … just people walking.  Lots of stunning churches with fabulous art … you can buy a pass that gives you access to about 16 churches for €10 per person.  Restaurants are everywhere and there is a great selection of food … avoid the touristy areas around St Marco and the Rialto Bridge … there are lots more authentic places away from these areas.  But food and coffee is expensive.

The last day that we were there, the alarm went off at about 7am warning of a high tide.  We went over to San Marco at about 11am, and it was still flooded.  Quite amusing that people are wading in the flood water … why? … it's just water!  Obviously, the Vencians  were well used to this and had raised walkways in position.

We flew into Marco Polo airport … very easy transfer using the water bus … €15 each.  It took about 1.5 hours but gave us an interesting tour and a chance to orientate ourselves for the next few days.  It also dropped us about 60 seconds from our hotel.

DSCN0480_edited-1.jpg

San Marco … flooded

DSCN0463_edited-1.jpg

Quite a few people were using the gondolas … we gave it a miss

DSCN0458_edited-1.jpg

Grand Canal was pretty amazing

DSCN0496_edited-1.jpg

Molino Stucky hotel … was once a flour mill … Giudecca

Outcomes