AnsweredAssumed Answered

Numerous Hotels not accepting points

Question asked by ke10hofen on Jun 30, 2013
Latest reply on Nov 26, 2013 by iahflyr

I am at my wits end.  I have been a Platinum member for almost 10-years and have always spoke highly of Marriott and stayed with them 100 percent of the time.  However, in the last year I have noticed that more often than not hotels WILL NOT have any rooms available for rewards booking.  This in NOT just a random complaint.  Since February I have had at least 5 hotels in different locations across the US not accept a rewards booking while they will more than happily accept a booking for $$$ from even a non-rewards member.  I have sent a complaint to customer service and pretty much got a form letter blowing my concerns off.  The block rewards reservations attempts where in California, Washington State, Oregon and Colorado.

This was about a month ago that I wrote that letter.  Now I am trying to plan a trip with my wife for our anniversary.  We are flying into Reno and driving to Napa.  I attempted to book rooms in South Lake Tahoe and then in Napa.  I have the frame grabs from my attempts, but can not load them here.  However, the results are 2 BLOCKED hotels in South Lake Tahoe and 3 BLOCKED hotels in the Napa area.  I was forced to get a hotel 20-miles from where we will need to be even though the Marriott that is 3.8 miles away WILL TAKE MY MONEY BUT NOT MY POINTS!!!!!  I signed off as a platinum member and went back to the Marriott website as just anyone.  I did not sign in and was able to book THE SAME EXACT NIGHTS AS LONG AS I PAID. HOWEVER, AS A PLATINUM MEMBER I COULD NOT USE MY POINTS!!!????????

THIS IS NOT A ONE TIME OCCURRENCE!!!!!!! This has happen with at least a dozen Marriott locations across the country. It took me 3 phone calls to customer service before anyone would give me the Marriott HQ address in Maryland.  I feel like my opinion as a nearly 10-year platinum member does not matter.  Regardless of whether or not this is something of a new "inside policy" it is certainly my perception and a GROWING perception of other Marriott members.  For any Marriott customer service rep to spout the "policy of no blackout dates" is irrelevant.  Actions of Marriott hotels speaks volumes to me!

Sincerely,

Mark

ke10hofen@mac.com

Outcomes