anadyr

Cape Air

Discussion created by anadyr on Jun 14, 2013
Latest reply on Jun 17, 2013 by iahflyr

My only funny (there have been other not so funny events on other flights) Cape Air adventure, started on a hot and humid August day at Hyannis Airport (HYA) on Cape Cod,  I was bound for Boston (BOS), a nonstop, and boarded the ten seater. The cabin was separated from the cockpit by a curtain that could not have stopped even a good wind, but that was pre-9/11.  Pilot and copilot looked to be under 21, but that's OK--better reflexes. 

We're buckled in and copilot leans over, says to us, "Hey folks, we're going to make a short detour to the Vineyard, everybody OK with that?"

As passengers it was a rhetorical question, since he could fly and we could not.  We all nodded yes.

The flight was almost as long a taxi as it was in the air.  We landed and one soul came aboard.  The curtain was still open and I heard the pilot speaking to the copilot in sotto voce, "Hey, do we have a card for gas here? Gonna be tight to get to Boston." (he used the New England/JFK broad A, as in Baaastan, when he spoke)

At that point we decided that we might have to take up a collection, just to be safe. He found something and we gassed up, thankfully.

We made it to Boston, via good old Cape Air, and that's the story.

Outcomes