anadyr

Flying to Cape Cod, Summer of 1969

Discussion created by anadyr on Jun 14, 2013
Latest reply on Jun 17, 2013 by iahflyr

IAH started the discussion of airplanes and Cape Air came up. I had the privilege of being on another predecessor airline that flew between Boston and Hyannis, and here's my story:

It was a boring flight from Baltimore. I was pleased that it only cost eleven bucks, active duty military fare, which meant wearing his summer uniform. Allegheny Airlines was nice to me on that one-hour trip to Boston, my first stop, netting me a better window seat, and offer of free drinks. Refused of course, remembering no drinking on duty rules. I waited about 45 minutes at Logan Airport, then walked with my B-4 overnight bag to the small plane’s gate, and discovered he would be one of three souls on the 20-minute hop to Hyannis. The airline, which eventually became part of Cape Air, was called Will’s Air. The pilot was at least 75, wiry, and strong enough to handle heavy bags as he loaded the nose and rear compartments. He motioned for me to be copilot.

“Sit here and don’t touch anything, even if I ask you to,” he commented with a wink.

“Don’t worry,” I deadpanned, “I won’t.”

“We’ll get there following Route 3 down Cape, then over on the Mid Cape,” Will whispered, “piece of cake.”

I decided that if I had survived Army Infantry Basic School, I could survive this flight. This was the first pass that I has had since he joined the Army back in March 1969. Vietnam was my next and maybe last stop, but I was doing time at Fort Holabird, just outside Baltimore, first. Intel School, they called it. I was doing just OK there, but closeness to DC nightlife meant that I stayed out too late, drove home too fast, and fought sleep through most of my morning classes.

We (Will, I and the other two terrified passengers) made it to Hyannis, flying very low, barely clearing the Sagamore Bridge over the Cape Cod Canal, purposely buzzing cars and trucks on the Cape as he did.

Will (the pilot) of Will's Air is lone gone and I never had the chance to fly the plane (without a license it would have been dicey for me and the others).

Outcomes