dmb31882

baseball

Discussion created by dmb31882 on Apr 4, 2013

Bottom of the third, one out, men on first and third. We are up by one. How that got to be, I can’t explain. Joey, our starter, is on the mound. A run here and this game is tied. Three possibilities: strike out, short pop fly, or a double play. Joey is down in the count 3-1. The pitch. Oh my gosh, it’s a shot right to my left. Everybody is yelling. Game about to be tied. I dive. I feel ball hit glove. I scramble to my feet. I touch second. I jump over the sliding runner. I throw the ball to first. The ball hits glove. Pop! The runner hits base. Thump. The umpire... puts his fist in the air, THANK GOODNESS, A DOUBLE PLAY!

Bottom of the sixth, two outs, runner on second. The Clickers’ leadoff hitter up. Base hit ties the game; anything else and we win. Joey is still on the mound. I would be drastically underplaying if I said the game was on the line. Everything is. The season, our hearts, everything. The 1-2 pitch. Curveball. Low and in. Perfect spot. The swing. Ball hits bat. Oh, but it’s out of play, foul ball. The 1-2 pitch again. Fastball. High. Get him chasing. HE DID. WE WIN. GAME. OVER.

“Yes! Yes!” We all jump on each other. It’s a dogpile. I can’t believe it. WE WON!

Outcomes