pluto77

San Diego La Jolla Marriott, La Jolla, California

Discussion created by pluto77 on Dec 11, 2012
Latest reply on Dec 12, 2012 by tryt53

This weekend past we had a most enjoyable a stay at the La Jolla Marriott.  It’s about 14 miles up the road from the San Diego Marriott Marquis, an easy drive and easy to find (less than a half mile from I-5 on La Jolla Village Drive.)

Our flight arrived in San Diego early in the morning, so we stopped at Seaport Village at the Marina for breakfast, strolled through the Marriott Marquis and enjoyed the wonderfully fun Gas Lamp District before heading up to our hotel in La Jolla.  I had contacted the hotel and asked about an early check-in, and was told that though they couldn’t guarantee it, they could probably accommodate us.  When we arrived at about 1pm on a Saturday, we were promptly checked in, given a welcome gift (we are Gold, so I don’t know if they give these out to everyone or what the situation was), as well as a coupon for a full service breakfast buffet in the hotel’s restaurant, 4240.  We stayed on a winter weekend special, $97/night.  Breakfast was not included in the rate, but with the free weekend breakfast coupon, boy, what a deal.  The price for Sunday was $169, and we used our Cat. 1-5 Visa Anniversary certificate for that night, so we really did make out.

free breakfast coupon.jpg

The front desk associate was welcoming and friendly, and explained exactly where our room was.  We did not receive an upgrade, but our room was very nice and plenty spacious for the two of us.  Our housekeeping associate was friendly and did an outstanding job of keeping our room tidy and our stuff picked up and well organized.  I wish I could’ve taken her home with me!

Parking was $20/day or $27/day for valet.  We did self-parking in the attached garage with in and out privileges, and it was very easy.  The lobby is very pretty, as is the dining room, the outdoor front portico reception and the rest of the outside grounds, yet the hotel is undergoing a major renovation that is due to be complete by April 2013.  Except for the parking garage, there was no sign of renovations going on (the floors in progress were blocked off), nor was there any noise.

The wait staff in the restaurant was among the best I’ve ever encountered:  welcoming, friendly, and professional.  The breakfast buffet was very good, and the dining room beautiful.  We ordered room service, and our attendant was equally friendly and engaging.  Our order was delivered in a satisfactory amount of time.  The CL was opened for breakfast on Monday morning (opened back up on Sunday evening at 5pm).  Since we were running late, we only had time to grab a couple of coffees to go, but the lounge looked very nice with a panoramic view of the La Jolla area just south of the University.  The CL offerings looked appetizing as well, and the attendant here was also very helpful, friendly and welcoming.

When we checked out, the front desk personnel handled our gift card payment with ease, and the young man at the valet station gave us great directions to the nearest gas station so we could fill our tank before returning the rental car.

We loved the hotel and loved the location, and if you’ve persevered through this long review, the most important thing that I wish to express about this hotel (and indeed any hotel, in my opinion) is the quality of the staff.  At each turn, the staff at the La Jolla Marriott epitomized what true hospitality is all about.  A special shout out to Abeba, Neli and Oliver in the dining room.  They are just fantastic.  Great job, guys.  See you next year!

To check out this hotel, go to this link:

La Jolla Hotels | San Diego La Jolla CA Hotels | Marriott La Jolla

I also did a blog on the La Jolla area.  If you are interested, check it out here:

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/blogs/lorifleenor/2012/12/11/la-jolla-california--the-jewel-city

As a final note, the purpose of our visit was a family milestone birthday.  We dined at 3rd Corner Bistro in Encinitas, CA, which is worth the 12 mile drive north of La Jolla.

Encinitas.jpg

3rd Corner Bistro.jpg

scallop dish.jpg

Great menu, great dishes, great wine shop.

Outcomes