razorbackfan

Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes

Discussion created by razorbackfan on Nov 8, 2012
Latest reply on Nov 15, 2012 by iestrikesback

We just completed an outstanding 3-night stay at this Category 5 resort hotel (without the resort fee!).  This hotel is located about 10 minutes from Sky Harbor Airport.  Our check-in was pleasant and quick.  The desk agent had recently spent some time in south Louisiana and we had a pleasant conversation about the area.  We were given vouchers for the breakfast buffet (totally unexpected since it is a resort, but really appreciated). He made sure we had a map of the resort and walked us out to the car to point out the direction we needed to go to park. Our room was quite large and attractive.  The bathroom area included a vanity area with a stool, a closet with a safe and a robe, and the sink with plenty of counter space.  The toilet and walk-in shower were in a separate room.  The Aromatherapy Associates toiletries were very nice and replenished each day.  The senior rate was very reasonable.

The breakfast buffet had a wide variety of choices including made to order omelettes and waffles.  The fresh squeezed orange juice was delicious.  The dining room doors were open on our last 2 mornings and if I hadn't been looking at cacti, I would have thought I was in Hawaii because the temperature was so pleasant.  We enjoyed specially priced appetizers on the patio of the Top of the Rock Restaurant one evening.  The night view of Phoenix was beautiful.  Flavored water (lemon, orange, strawberry, cucumber, etc.) was available during the day in the main lobby and the downstairs lobby of the building where most of the rooms are located.  Coffee was available in the morning.

The pool area was gorgeous.  Four hot tubs are built into the side of the butte.  Lots of guests were enjoying the chaise lounges around the pool and the hot tubs, but we didn't see too many people swimming.  The fitness center was equipped with lots of machines which looked to be in great shape.  If you like baseball, the A's spring training facility is within walking distance.

We checked out using a gift card and had no problems.  When I mentioned that we were unable to get ESPN2 on the large flat screen TV and had noticed an unpleasant smell when we entered the room after the AC had been off for a while, we were offered a beverage or snack "for our trouble".  We had just eaten breakfast so declined the offer.  About an hour later, I got a voice mail telling me that since we did not want a beverage or snack, they were adding a substantial number of points to my account "for our trouble". 

We highly recommend this property and look forward to a return visit.

In my blog, I'll be writing about our visit to the Desert Botanical Garden and our drive to Tortilla Flat.

Outcomes