profchiara

The times/songs of our lives

Discussion created by profchiara on Nov 3, 2012
Latest reply on Dec 2, 2012 by jerrycoin

We've already touched on this subject, but I think it is an interesting concept to trace the trajectory of our lives through music (the music that matters to us at different times, or for always), whether we were growing up, first working or in college, during marriage(s), in young and middle age, and as some of us go beyond.  Not to fear, the content of the music does not reflect personal directions in many cases. My dates are often off, because in high school and my first marriage I was only allowed to listen to music on TV or accidentally.

Here's my partial list, which I'm sure I could expand up enormously:

2011 Edith Piaf, Non, je ne regrette rien

2010 Andrea Bocelli Con Te Partira (my ringtone)

2009 Josh Groban (You Raise Me Up) - When my 18-1/2 year old cat, my true family died

2009 Westlife, Seasons in the Sun - knowing the end was near, also one of the songs I managed to hear as a teenager when allowed out of the house

2008 Dublin Ramblers, Fields of Athenry (first taste of Ireland)

2003 Neil Young, Prairie Wind - aging

c. 2000 David Bowie, Space Oddity -- the first time I appreciated one of my favorite songs

1999 Charlotte Church, Panis Angelicus (one of the inspirations for my book on Joan)

1995 Mary Hopkin, Those Were the Days - what might have been

1993 Sting, Fields of Barley -- The first time a song had affected me in a long time

1990 Jimmy Buffett, Margaritaville - Living on Cape Cod with my half husband, the bus driver, who showed me the whole US of A when not working, including the Keys

1978 Bonnie Tyler, If You Were a Woman and I were a Man (still trying to figure out if I could do what I wanted with my life)

1977 Charlene, Never Been to Me (figuring out France - but while I've lived the life described in some ways, I do not identify with the message)

1977 Cora, Amsterdam (my romance in France)

1977 Johnny Hallyday, Tennessee (my romance in France)

1977 Harry Chapin, I Wanna Learn a Love Song (much earlier, but my first time hearing it)

1976 Elton John, Nikita (the first song I heard in France and started changing my life)

1976 Carly Simon, The Way I Always Heard It Should Be (ending first marriage, realizing my gut had always been right)

1973 Barbra Streisand, The Way We Were (reevaluating my first marriage)

1971 Don McLean American Pie (wow, still one of my favorites to take me back in time)

1971 Doors, Riders on the Storm (young person philosophizing about life)

1971 Helen Reddy, I am Woman (working as a secretary, supporting a family not of my making, and questioning status quo)

1970 Credence Clearwater Revival, Bad Moon Risin' (just was)

1970 Gordon Lightfoot, If You Could Read My Mind - young romantic love thoughts rather than reality

1970 Peter, Paul and Mary, Scarborough Fair and Mrs. Robinson (plastics -- a new generation)

1970 Peter, Paul and Mary, Blowin' in the Wind (high school graduation song) - war

1970 Scott McKenzie, San Francisco - the summer of love redux

1970 spring trip to NYC play of 1776, Neil Young, et al, Ohio

1966? Monkees, I'm a Believer, Last Train to Clarksville (I was allowed to watch TV)

1964 - Beatles, Yesterday (thanks to the Ed Sullivan Show)

Anyway, this is a small part of my significant play list.  I always go back to the favorites, and I'm sure I left some out.  The 80s were mostly left out for a reason, since I liked very little of the music in that period, even though that husband had no problem with my listening to music.  I am endlessly fascinated by how a song can define a time, place and situation in our life.

Cheers, ProfChiara

Outcomes