conman

Beware Marriott's "Encore" program!

Discussion created by conman on Apr 25, 2012
Latest reply on Feb 28, 2015 by franke

Big Marriott fan here, don't get me wrong. Platinum for years and owner of 2 weeks timeshare at Ko Olina, Hawai'i: awesome place! However, when there, we bought an extra week stay via the so-called "Encore" program. About $1,600 or so, for a 1BR villa, not a bad deal. However: come to find out I don't get Elite Night credit or even points! After an email exchange all the way up to a MVCI VP, Marriott sticks to the line that it is a "wholesale package" and does not qualify. Sure, when you buy something third party or via a questionable tour operator I know and get that - but this was a Marriott product directly sold to us by a Marriott Sales Associate while staying at a Marriott Property. Needless to say, this was completely unexpected! In addition, I had counted on these 7 paid Elite nights to reach my MegaBonus qualifier, so now that too is out the window. Also needless to say, their efforts to entice us to buy more Marriott timeshare weeks or points did not work... We had a great stay but feel a tad bitter about this lack of credit which was never disclosed in advance. I've lost this battle it seems and I just wanted to alert my fellow Marriott fans out there to "Beware the Encore Package"!

Outcomes