profchiara

Best and worst airports

Discussion created by profchiara on Apr 25, 2012
Latest reply on Apr 18, 2016 by wesleywc

Hi all,

As I am sitting here in Schiphol waiting for my connection to Paris, this occurred to me.  I HATE Schiphol!  It is true that the people are nice, there are lots of shops and the airport is one piece and clean.  But you need to allow a few hours to safely get through customs and passport control then to your gate -- and that is as a priority lane flyer.  I have flown through AMS about 10 times in the past few years, and it rarely goes smoothly and I usually end up running.  Each passport control agent typically takes 5-10 minutes scrutinizing each passport (even in the priority lane), then rescreening is ridiculous.  After taking everything out, both the two women in front of me and I had our suitcases taken aside and they went through them at great length. It took over twenty minutes.  It's almost -- almost -- enough to make me like the TSA, or at least not hate it so much.

So what are your favorite and least favorite airports?

In the US, my favorite airport by far is Detroit (though I only go through the Delta terminal and have been told the other ones are not like that).  But I believe it did win some award last year for best airport.  Although I have successfully avoided JFK for about two years, it is my most hated US airport.  I have to go through it next month en route to Greece.

In Europe and the Middle East, I find CDG in Paris very easy as long as you don't have to change to another flight. (I know many have had other experiences).  By far the easiest time was of all places at Ben Gurion Airport in Tel Aviv.  I had been told by friends to allow hours, but as it turned out, I got out of the cab, went through first screening, got my boarding past, went through second screening, and got my tax refund -- in less than fiveairports minutes.  At no point did I have to take off articles of clothing, I didn't have to remove my computer, and they didn't even look in any of my luggage.  They simply asked if I had a book in the outer zipper compartment of my suitcase and I said yes, a tour guide, and that was that.  Let's hear it for 'smart' profiling.

ProfC

Outcomes