anadyr

Thinking it over and wondering what I'd do?

Discussion created by anadyr on Apr 20, 2012
Latest reply on Apr 21, 2012 by anadyr

OK, too much time on my hands (my wife claims) and too much posting make for a weird idea that just popped into my otherwise empty head.

What if Marriott exercised its option, the one shown below:

1. "The Rewards structure is subject to modification, cancellation, or limitation at the Company's discretion, with or without notice. The number of Points or Miles required to redeem any Reward may be substantially increased, any Reward may be withdrawn, and restrictions on any Reward or reward redemption (“Reward Redemption”) may be imposed at any time.
  2. The Company and its travel partners have the right to change, limit, modify or cancel the Rewards Program Rules, Rewards and reward levels at any time, with or without notice, even though such changes may affect the value of Points or Miles, or the ability to obtain certain Rewards. The Company and its travel partners may, among other things: a) increase or decrease the number of Points or Miles received for a stay or required for a Reward; b) withdraw, limit, modify or cancel any Reward; c) add blackout dates, limit rooms available for any Reward at any participating hotel or otherwise restrict the continued availability of Rewards; d) change program benefits, travel partners, locations served by the Company or its travel partners, conditions of participation, rules for earning, redeeming, retaining or forfeiting Points or Miles, or rules governing the use of Rewards; e) change or cancel its travel partner Rewards. In accumulating Points or Miles, Members may not rely upon the continued availability of any Reward or Reward level, category or tier."  (emphasis added by me)

OK, I know this is a remote possibility but then it is clearly spelled out in the terms and conditions that we are standing on a tenuous ladder here.  Seems to me that the t&cs used to say with advance notice of six months this might happen, but I can't get to the page where I read that, if I ever did.  But in a strange alternate universe it might be an idea that is rolling around in some board room somewhere.  Who knows?

But, let's say it happened, and the program evaporated?  What would you do?  Would you hope that the other lodging companies did not adopt a wait-and-see attitude and then not follow suit? Or would they?

What I am asking here is what is the depth of your Marriott loyalty?  Is it so important that the quality that Marriott offers would supersede your decision on where to stay? If everyone, including the other chains followed the lead and the programs disappeared, what would you do?

• Forget your affiliation with Marriott altogether and stick with the lowest brand price for lodging?
  • Stay with Marriott for purely sentimental reasons?
  • Find another lodging chain?
  • Do nothing?

Not a poll just a chance to tell us what you think.  The answer that they would never do this is already stored in the memory bank for this post.

Outcomes