Understanding that the qualification requirements for Platinum Premier remains somewhat of a black box, we polled the group the last couple of years. Tell us your experience below.
It appears that most folks have been notified of their their 2014 status by now (much earlier than last year), so voting/polling is now open.
Results (and comments) from the last two years' polls are here:
- http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/polls/1201 (for 2013)
- http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/polls/1028 (for 2012)
- A while back, pingreeman asked MR directly a while back and posted that: "[On]ly the top three percent receive the Platinum Premier status for one year. [The] corporate offices [explained] that the qualification process is based upon a comparison of Platinum member accounts. ... [T]he account is looked at as a whole; this will include amount of nights at Marriott Hotels and the dollar amounts spent at the properties."
- There is the theory that Marriott looks at your previous three years of stays. (Note that there are two variables there: (1) last three years; (2) stays, not point or something else.)
- It seems widely accepted that you must be a Platinum member for one of the years in the three year look back to achieve the PP status.
- We appear to have dis-proven the theory that you need at least 125 nights in the preceding year.
- jkernitzki explained that: Platinum Premier Elite is a status accorded "above" Platinum Elite by Marriott according to their own specific, unpublished criteria. Similar to Roman Emperors, it could be considered first among equals within the Platinum community. At the end of the day, it's the same as Platinum, but with less of a real life.
Thanks for your input!