I've been thinking over the recent announcement from communitymanagers about the upcoming MegaBonus - Insiders, First Time Ever! Pick Your MegaBonus® – up to 50,000 Points. I must admit, I have mixed feelings. Based on the info we have so far, here are my musings.
- Ability to choose a bonus suitable to our needs. This is AWESOME. We've been asking for this for years and it's finally happened.
- Announced on Marriott Rewards Insiders several days before the rest of the Marriott world hears about it. Great job, Nathalie. This is a perfect example of how MRI should work.
- Same promotional period as we've come to expect. Many of us already have travel planned to coincide with the start of this MegaBonus. Just look at all these folks kicking off the bonus period in Houston THE TIPPLE REGISTER IS HERE... and the Saturday @3pm sneak-peak.
- Option 1 (5,000 points on your second stay, maximum 5,000 points) is almost insulting. 5,000 points is not a MegaBonus. Maybe a MircoBonus. Sorry Marriott, but you can do better. Even something like 5,000 points for every 2 stays maxing out at 10,000 or 15,000 points would be better.
- Needing 50 nights to earn the maximum of 50,000 points. Past MegaBonuses have generally capped out around 25-30 nights. Sure, some folks may reach 50 nights, but an extra 1,000 point per night is not all that great for spending 50 nights over a 4 month period.
- Earning 10,000 points for every 10 nights. So someone with 29 nights ends up earning the same as someone with 20 nights? That's not cool. Past offers have had an earning threshold (say 15 nights to earn 15,000 points) and then offered additional points for each extra night. Based on the info we have now, that's not the case. Perhaps we'll learn something different in the days to come.
- Terms of this promotion are vague (specifically option 2). Granted it is a few days before the official announcement, so perhaps things will become clearer when the word goes out to everyone.
I'm thrilled that Marriott listened to us and finally gave us a choice. That's excellent. I'm also pleased that the announcement was made to Insiders first (exactly as is should be). The only real letdown is that this bonus is far less beneficial than any in recent memory. I'll still sign up and earn my 10,000 points, 20,000 if I can add a few additional nights. Having become accustomed to earning nearly twice as much for the same number of night, it is in the end a bit of letdown.
Well, Marriott. You got it half right. You gave us a choice. Unfortunately, the choice isn't really worthy of being called a MegaBonus.